Saturday, February 18, 2012

I found out from my newly found aunts, Vasta Taylor Edwards, Ruth Taylor Haven, and Lelia Taylor that their father Riley had been raised in DeKalb County, Tennessee and that his father's name was Barzilla and that he had lived on Toad Road.  I went to the public library in Smithville, county seat of DeKalb, where I met someone named Thelma, who advised me to go see Thomas G. 'Tommy' Webb, DeKalb County Historian.
I went to his Smithville house, where his wife Audra almost had his supper ready.  He soon arrived home, but somehow I managed to get him to look up my great grandfather Barzilla Taylor, And tell me more about him.  It wasn't as easy as you might think, for there were several Barzilla Taylors, with perhaps ten different spellings.  In his Civil War Record, he was listed as Baraseal.
Tommy also gave me the name of another Taylor researcher who had recently contacted him, wanting information on Taylors of DeKalb County.

No comments:

Post a Comment