Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ardis Ringdahl 'Ardie' Taylor, wife of Harvey 'Harve' Taylor of Lisbon, North Dakota, along with a couple of his cousins, Marjorie 'Margie' Robinson of Iowa and Luella Taylor Wagner of Colorado had already been doing Taylor family research for years when I contacted them.  The rest, as they say, is history!
Ardis' first book about the history of this Taylor family, called 'On The Taylor Trail', was published in 1980.  The introduction begins;  Some years ago I wrote the history of my people - a group of Swedes who homesteaded on the Dakota prairie a century ago.  By the time I had finished the book I found myself with a husband and a young son named Taylor.  Since our son was being brought up in an area that was still predominantly Scandanavian I thought it no more than fair to write the Taylor side of his family for him too.  Upon questioning my husband about his people, he told me three things: One - that he had very few Taylor relatives; second - that the Taylors had been in this country for a 'long' time; and third - that they were Scotch-Irish.  At least he was right on two counts!  Had I known how far off he was on the first surmise - that he had very few relatives - I would have quit before I started!!
(Allow Clem to interject here) We would learn much later that Harve was only right on one count; that the Taylors had been in this country a long time.  We eventually came to the conclusion that our Taylors were of English descent.  Some became Scotch-Irish because it simply wasn't popular to be of English descent in certain times and places.

No comments:

Post a Comment